Going To Disney World Solo: An Asper-Girl's View - Part 6: Shopping

Other than riding rides (actually being on the ride, not the standing in line part), shopping is the only other time in Disney were my fears and phobias are at a minimum. Very often, going shopping after a finger-wringing experience calms me better than Xanax. I may be bankrupting myself, but hey, I'm happy!! Rarely ever have I even regretted spending so much money...after all, I wouldn't have my very happiest place on earth, my Disney-filled house, without it.

It is so much easier to dodge other people in shops. Not a lot of cast members bother you with "Can I help you find something?" or "Are you looking for anything in particular?". It's the best shopping experience ever!

I've been through every single shop in Disney World dozens of times, so I'm very familiar and comfortable with them (like the rides). I've always been a quick shopper, even at home. I know what I want and where it's at...no need to read the labels or examine the merchandise, just grab and go! Again, another philosophy which gets me into trouble because I tend to have blind spots when it comes to price tags as well as miss some really great stuff because I'm in such a hurry.

There have been moments where it's been yucky, after all, nothing can be perfect. I think I give off a shifty vibe since I'm avoiding the world and, more than once, I've had cast members tracking my every movement like I'm a shoplifter. I'd like to say it's just paranoia on my part, but Am's been with me when it's happened (Youse Guys Moichendise in the Studios? That cast member was actually following us!). Their behavior just sends my mind into overdrive and ignites my freak out gene. I always try to make sure that, if I get that vibe from a cast member, I get them to ring my purchases up and they can see I'm not shifty after all!

This post was pretty short (compared to the other book-length posts), but like I said, shopping in Disney is mainly a very enjoyable experience for me, probably even more so solo. I can do what I gotta do, get what I gotta get, and get out!

There are only two parts left to this series, so next up is Part 7: Departure, followed by Part 8: Final Thoughts.

Comments