Disney Necessities Part 3: The iPod

Although I would never use an iPod in the parks and find great offense with those that do, it's definitely one of those "must pack" necessities I can't live without. But as far as in the parks goes, Disney sounds are as big a part of the experiences as is the sights and smells. The subtle transition changes from one land to the other in the Magic Kingdom or the tropical ambiance sounds in Animal Kingdom are really amazing if you stop to listen. And you can't forget about the songs that make up the Disney library...Grim, Grinning Ghosts or Yo, Ho A Pirates Life or even Zip A-Dee Doo-Dah, even someone who has never been to Disney knows at least one of these songs, and they are playing everywhere!

During the "getting there" part of the excursion, the comforts of the right music, music that is important to me, control my nerves almost as good as Xanax (and lots of Xanax and driving don't mix well - although lots of Xanax does mix well with airports). Granted, for anyone who travels with me, it can be especially annoying (just ask Am about the 30 hours of Take That she was forced to listen to while I drove to and fro on the last trip). Nothing better for those congested motorways than a bit of Mark Owen!!

And, although I don't usually sleep with music at home, my over-heightened senses run amuck at Disney, making it very hard to get to sleep and stay that way (especially when someone, who will remain nameless, is snoring in the bed next to me). I've been known to try to sleep on the bathroom floor with the fan running to block out the rest of the world (although it never really works). After a few days, I'm just so tired I can't help but sleep out of sheer exhaustion.

Admittingly, it's probably even harder to sleep when I'm by myself. Especially since they always want to put me on the ground floor when I'm alone. Not only do I have to worry about the room entry door, but the balcony doors as well (a factor that doesn't bother me so much on an upper floor). I may have grown up in a small town, but I have a big city mentality when it comes to safety. I'm not comfortable, for the sake of my fellow Disney guests and neighbors, to run the TV all night (although they typically don't show me the same consideration). With an iPod, I can watch videos or movies and not disturb a soul and be guaranteed I'll love what I'm watching!

When it comes to television on Disney property, the channels are very limited and there are a dozen Disney Park specific channels (gotta love Stacy!), and as much as I like watching them, they can lead to anxiety as well (just watch her and see):

As much as I love being in the parks, it's still stressful for me being there and, when I'm back in my room, I just want to forget for a while and be alone (social anxiety disorder, remember?). That's where Jane Austen comes in very handy! I have several movie versions of her books on my iPod and nothing is as soothing or as escaping as Miss Austen!

Due to the fact that I have so many songs, music videos, and movies on my iPod, a smaller shuffle or nano just can't cut it. The screen may be small, but it's an iPod classic all the way for me! That way, I can have the choice of whatever I want (even if I only listen to Take That or Darren Hayes or watch Jane Austen movies). It's just one of those "must have" Disney necessities!

Comments

Disney needs to replace Stacey. I can only take watching through the Must Do's loop once a trip before I start wanting to plug my ears. My kids LOVE watching her though so we end up letting her ramble over and over again.

Hotels can be super difficult to be comfortable in, so I can't imagine how much more difficult it must be for you. Taking an iPod never occurred to me but I may just do that on my next trip. A little Michael Buble at a Disney resort might be just the ticket!
Keebles said…
I like the idea of Stacey and I miss her when I'm not there, but while at Disney I can't watch her for very long because she is annoying! It's a love-hate thing with me I guess!
I totally agree! She's definitely on the "must do" list, even if we only watch it one time.