Wednesday Hodgepodge



This one is not going to be an easy one, considering the theme, but I'll try not to be too awful and inconsiderate, but it is nice to be in a normal routine again!

1. Share something you appreciate (or something you appreciated as you were growing up) about your mother.
I have a hard relationship with my Mother. She's only become a typical "good" mother after I was grown and gone. Too little too late I guess. There are some serious, deep-rooted issues between us (that I'm not quite yet willing to discuss in blog form) and I'll leave it at that. If I wanted to put a positive spin on it, my sister had a great life because I was her "test dummy" and she was protected from everything that I was exposed to, so I guess I can appreciate that she didn't have to go through what I did. I guess I should also appreciate the fact that Mother did keep a roof over my head, food in my belly, and clothes on my back. That's more than some people grow up with. There is just no emotional appreciation (is that a better way to say it?).

2. A quote most commonly ascribed to Plato reads "Necessity is the mother of invention." When did this last play out in your own experience?
Just this week, in fact! I NEED to go to Disney World, therefore, I have found a way despite utter poverty and debt!

3. Share one of the earliest memories you have from childhood.
When my parents were still married (to each other), our car broke down (it was red, but I don't remember the model). We had to walk home on the rail tracks and I was too small, so my Dad put me up on his shoulders and we walked down the tracks together, them arguing the entire time, but me having a blast because I was riding on my Daddy's shoulders! I remember every moment of that ride and I had to be no more than 2 or 3. Memories got bad and unforgettable after that, so we won't go there.

4. When did you last 'hit the mother lode'? What was it?
I hit the mother lode every time I go to Disney...my house is proof! Disney stuff EVERYWHERE! The only catch is my credit cards are all charged up and I'm broke (but I do get to go home every night and look at my "stuff", so it ain't all bad!).

5. What is/was your favorite dish mom made? Do you make that dish for your family/friends now that you're all grown up?
My Mother didn't make special dishes, it was all about the Hamburger Helper, spaghetti, and fried chicken (and the occasional torture of liver). She did make that nasty meat, green bean, potato, cheese layered casserole that still gags me to even think about it! Those items are fine separate, but definitely not mixed up together (and not even cheese could save it!). I don't cook much (although I can), but no, my tastes are completely different to my Mothers. My sister would say her mashed potatoes but I actually prefer them from a box than real (told you I was weird!).

6. Mother May I? was at one time a popular children's game. It required no equipment or parts to play. What was your favorite childhood game where you could just turn up and play-no gear needed?
I didn't really play childhood games. We weren't really allowed to behave like children (which is why I overcompensate now). I spent a lot of time reading or drawing.

7. Which TV mom (past or present) is your favorite, and why?
I don't know that I really notice that kind of thing. I never really looked at another Mother, real or televised, and wished mine was more like them, I just didn't think about it. My mind was always focused on whatever I was obsessed with at the time. Family was the least of my worries.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
I want to go home and go back to bed. My head hurts.

Comments

Joyce said…
My mother cooked liver every now and then. It was one of those things I'd sneak into my napkin at dinner and then ask to be excused to go the bathroom. I'm sure my mom was on to me, but ick. Gag. Liver. Ew. Still can't handle it.