Disney Reviews: Snack Edition #10 - Tabouleh

When it comes to foreign food, I'm not that adventurous of a person. I'm not really sure what ever persuaded me to try tabouleh in the first place, but from that very first taste I was completely hooked!

We're headed now to the Moroccan Pavilion in Epcot's World Showcase:
2010-0695

Morocco is my favorite pavilion in all of Epcot because of it's architecture, it's art, and I absolutely LOVE Moroccan lamps, but I had never been big on the food. We ate at the sit-down restaurant, Restaurant Marrakesh, years ago and it was quite possibly the third worst meal I've ever had at Disney. I don't do dark meat chicken (you could park a live cow beside me, give me a straw, and I'll suck him dry like a vampire, but the sight of chicken blood gags me). The couscous was dry and bland, my chicken was obviously thigh (which means dark meat), and even the drinks were bad. But this ain't about bad Disney reviews (at least not yet). I didn't have tabouleh there, but a few years later I did end up at Tangierine Cafe, the counter service in Morocco:
2013 (12)-2281
2009-0393

and I had my first taste of tabouleh in a shawarma platter:
2008-0103
(and FYI, the couscous was WAY better here, but I ain't big on hummus from anywhere)

So, since I am a creature of habit, I got the tabouleh the next year:
2009-0394

and the next:
2010-1342

and the next:
2012-2464

and two last December (because I didn't have time to stop in October):
2013 (12)-2283

It's kind of like Moroccan salsa...but nothing like salsa, it's not spicy, but twangy with bulgar wheat instead of garlic and parsley and mint instead of cilantro. It's literally making my mouth water just typing it's description, and you can bet I'll be back there again this year to get my annual dose! They also sell tabouleh mix in the stores around Morocco, but I prefer to eat food and not spend hours chopping and chopping and chopping the veggies (that's what teeth are for). I'm sure if my local grocery store sold it, I would be buying it constantly but, for now, I'm happy to hold off and keeping it a Disney-specific treat!

Comments

Linda said…
Your braver than me.

Linda