Day 3 Highlights - Part 1 Happy B-Day to me

On my Birthday it was time to hit the road again and move resorts. We were technically staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge for our vacation. Staying at Port Orleans was only meant to be a one night thing. We ended up adding an extra day to our trip and needed a cheap alternative for a night, especially considering we were arriving mid-day and not staying an entire day. Animal Kingdom Lodge is a deluxe resort, even though it's on par with Wilderness Lodge (my absolute favorite Disney resort) and one of the cheapest, it is still a deluxe resort and even adding one more night would have been financially too much. I'm not a fan of resort hopping, but I have done it before (although at a value...but I just couldn't face that again) and knew it was a viable option for a cheaper night stay. After the fiasco of no elevators at Alligator Bayou, I was looking forward to a more comfortable surrounding. I may be poor, but deluxes work better for me and my social problems. I've debated the benefits of deluxes versus the others numerous times in my Disney Blog series, so no need to rehash, let's get to the pics (take your pick on my Disney Planning and Reviews Page HERE).

I'd driven the path using Google Map Street Views numerous times, but the sight of the entrance sign of any Disney resort is always a "ahh" moment!
2014-0949
Like a lot of the deluxe resorts, it's completely hidden from the parking lot:
2014-0953
but there is a nice (yet probably snake filled) walkway to the entrance:
2014-0956
2014-0963
Again, our room wasn't ready, but I did notice a craft behind the check-in counter:
2014-0968
Kate decided to wait it out, but I wanted to hit the Magic Kingdom again for a while, especially since it was my birthday and I'd never actually been in Disney on my actual B-day. It wasn't a Mickey's Not So Scary Party Night, but I think some people didn't get the memo:
2014-0970
Well, I guess as long as they were comfortable and/or happy, that is all that matters. I was extremely happy to get a good pic of the entrance sign for the first time:
2014-0978
and of course I had to climb up to the top of the train station for the customary beauty shot of Main Street looking toward the castle:
2014-0982
While I was up there, I decided to go ahead and take the train to New Fantasyland and actually managed to get a shot of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in action:
2014-1009
The old Mickey's Toontown Fair section of the park, which is now where Dumbo lives, is very child oriented, but there is one stop of note for an adult, Big Top Souvenirs:
2014-1026
for my standard Disney breakfast, a red velvet cake pop:
2014-1023
but because I'm a regular on The Disney Food Blog, I was dying to try a Mickey Macaroon and I now have a brand new love! This one became the first of many for this trip.
2014-1025
Followed up by another tried and true usual, LaFou's Brew from Gaston's Tavern:
2014-1042
There was a clear sky for a short while, and what better way to capture it than at Cinderella's Castle:
2014-1052
my new MacBook wallpaper:
2014-1072
After lunch at Pecos Bill's (again), I tried to go to Tom Sawyer's Island for the first time since I was a kid, but people kept butting in front of me in line and I got pissed and walked off. Happy B-Day to me.
2014-1098
It ended up being a good thing because the rain was starting up again:
2014-1110
so I figured it was a good time to test zoom again at The Hall of Presidents. I'm still struggling with taking pictures through glass:
2014-1116
but the show pictures were getting better:
2014-1127
2014-1130
2014-1136
and even the non-zoom turned out pretty good too:
2014-1142
The sun came out again briefly (which is typical after sitting inside, but I was still grateful):
2014-1153
and I decided to try out one of the cake cups that everyone has been going on about (yes, I ate a LOT on this trip):
2014-1156
At least the first leg of the trip saw intermittent rain storms (versus the deluge at the back end of the trip), but watching the clouds roll back over the castle from the Peoplemover was a pretty sight:
2014-1183
2014-1191
I had the PERFECT seat for the parade, sat there for 30+ minutes, waited out a downpour:
2014-1215
the rain stopped five minutes before the parade, but 10 minutes later they announced the parade had been cancelled due to inclement weather. It rained the rest of the day:
2014-1238
Kate met up with me and after an early dinner at Tony's, we called it a night.
2014-1244
We finally got assigned a room at Animal Kingdom Lodge, but let's save that for Part 2.

Comments

Vickie said…
What a great way to spend your Birthday!!! Did you do the dining plan on this trip? What month did you go?