Duran Duran - #9 Change The Skyline

Duran Duran Paper Gods time again. #9, Change The Skyline featuring Jonas Bjerre (I don't know who he is either...I am REALLY getting old) is a good song, don't get me wrong, it's just not a Duran Duran song. It's more of a very producer-driven song with Duran Duran performing on it and I'm not sure I would even go that far and might just limit it to 'Simon sings on' versus 'the entire band performs on' type song. This might be one of those I can't pick out various band members, I haven't listened enough yet to tell.

But again, I do really like it...it's a great beat, has that old disco-type dance beat and is simple and flowing. There are a few of these in the Duran canon, so I'm not used to them, but they still shock me when I first hear them.

It may be hard to tell sometimes, but this entire album is a bit darker than a Duran album typically is...you just can't tell because of the upbeat melodies, but this one really stumps me. The album was released on September 11th, and with the title, I kind of felt that was the direction they were going with this particular song, but I'm still not sure (and anyone other than Simon Le Bon that can interpret his lyrics is a genius in my book because he usually makes them ambiguous on purpose). With lyrics like:

I can change the skyline
I'll arrange the limbs time
Time to change the skyline
I see far a rising up

Lyrically, I get an American-themed inspiring September 11th anthem, but the melody throws it all out of whack. Most of the boys have lived in New York at one point or another (John for the longest), so it wouldn't surprise me. I'll just go with that for now until Simon says differently (and he rarely ever does).

I really didn't think out far enough to realize that I'm going to be crossing two Top 10 Tuesdays, but here we are, so I'll be back with these reviews on Wednesday. There are still some really good songs on this album I've yet to get to!

Comments

Heather said…
Some of these songs are nice. I've never been a big fan of Duran Duran but it's good to know they're still going!