Disney Resort Reviews #11: Disney's All-Star Movies Resort

Aspers + Disney Value Resorts = mahem, stress, sensory overload, horror...well, you get the point. Do I need to mention at this point that Aspers have major sensory issues and that I'm no exception to that rule? Sounds, overwhelming visuals, extreme smells, and flashing lights (plus I have a brain tumor, so that's a definite no-no) all are amplified in us. Aspers also tend to be very attune to that illusive sixth sense in that we are extremely sensitive to the energy levels around us be they from people or objects or electronics. And, before you ask, no, I'm not psychic by any means, but I would consider myself spirit sensitive in that I typically know when "ghosts" are present and I have seen one or two in my day, but that's another story for another post.

And, just as an aside, I've always had a major fear of trees (forests in particular) because of the overwhelming sensory issues they come with...you can't tell where any noise is coming from, everything is moving in different directions at once, and woods are typically filled with witches and booger-bears anyway (and bugs, don't get me started on the bugs!). Everyone I know finds this extremely odd, especially since it is quite woodsy in Arkansas (it is called "the Natural State" after all) and my all-time favorite Disney resort is Wilderness Lodge. One of the first things I learned is that dendrophobia is one of the most common Asper fears. Yea me! I'm not alone in the world! Trees are only acceptable viewing features from the safety of the car window in my opinion.

But anyhoo, back in 2004 we used the bus stops at the All-Stars as a way point to get from one park to another and I nearly lost it from sensory overload and I've been terrified of them ever since. For those that don't know, Value resorts are very big, loud, colorful, and geared toward children (or at least the non-Asper kind). Families love it there because it's affordable and kid-friendly. Aspers hate it because it is literally their worst nightmare...children running everywhere, large colorful things everywhere, noise everywhere...again, I think I've made my point.

But I figured that bus stop fiasco was 12 years ago, I now have my diagnosis and I can deal better with some of my issues than I used to be able to (or at least I can understand why it's happening and take a Xanax). When I drive to Disney World, it makes sense, financially at least, to pay for one night at a value to save money because I usually don't arrive until late at night (thanks to my dislike of the great state of Alabama and the TSA). I should also add that most of my Disney trips are paid for by my Sister or I'd probably be stuck in a value for the entire trip (because I'm single and poor) hence my usual resort stays are at the other levels of resorts (and I have gone in-depth about these ad nauseum in various other reviews, so I'm not going to do that again). And, if I'm honest, I may be poor, but I do tend to live quite a bit out of my means and am a bit of a snob when it comes to hotels (as well as other things), but I do still live in a trailer, so I can't be that snobby, right?

I tested the Value waters very carefully once before for a night at The Art of Animation Resort just after it was built and did "OK" (but my Sister was with me). For this past trip, AOA was booked, I just didn't think I can handle Pop Century sensory-wise, so that just left the All-Stars...I hate Sports, so that was out, Music had no availability either, so Movies it was!

Besides, I'm not sure if my Sister is aware (so don't tell her just in case), but she and I have this competition on...I have technically stayed at more different Disney resorts than her and I'm quite proud of that fact! I do all that I can to keep my total above hers even when her actual number of visits exceeds mine, so anytime I can add a different resort to the fray, I'm pretty darn happy!

On with the plethora of pictures! It was dark when I arrived:
2016(9)-0143
And, although I had driven the route with Google Maps literally hundreds of times before-hand, nighttime was a whole other ballgame. To add to the terror, fireworks were going off as I pulled into the resort...have you ever tried driving under extreme stress while fireworks are going off right above your head? I'm surprised I didn't crash! But I did arrive safe and sound:
2016(9)-0145
Although I did sit in the car for quite a while talking on the phone with my Sister trying to get up the courage to go inside, which I did eventually do:
2016(9)-0146
But the combo of the drive, the fireworks, and the scaredy-cat gene meant that I didn't get a lot of pics of the lobby area that night. I was put in the Toy Story section:
2016(9)-0148
2016(9)-0174
Which was fine because location didn't matter since I was moving to the Beach Club the next day. Good thing it was dark and I was still a bit freaked out when I arrived or else this scene would have killed me!
2016(9)-0175
The room itself was your typical Value room:
2016(9)-0154
Simple, efficient, paper-thin walls, etc:
2016(9)-0155
2016(9)-0150
The colors in the bathroom were a bit disconcerting, but I could deal for one night (literally less than 8 hours actually):
2016(9)-0156
I got up the next morning with the intention of walking around the entire resort and taking pictures...I literally managed about 30 minutes before I started freaking out and had to get out of there. It was just too much. But I did manage to get a few shots.
2016(9)-0185
Notice the people in the right of the picture...now do you get a guess as to the size of the things around there? Sure, I love Woody and Buzz as much as the next person, but when they are 100ft tall, they tend to have that "Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man" effect!
2016(9)-0190
2016(9)-0193
I did make it to the pool:
2016(9)-0202
2016(9)-0203
And to the main building:
2016(9)-0205
2016(9)-0209
2016(9)-0208
With the intention of getting some breakfast, but it was so loud and busy in there, I just couldn't do it and, in record speed, I was packed up and heading out to the Beach Club, which will be my next review!
2016(9)-0221
2016(9)-0223

Comments

Heck, I'M getting sensory overload from those photos! Especially the bathroom one!
Well done on getting another point on the resort-o-meter and keeping ahead of your sister too.
We've stayed at the All-Stars a few times...usually, like you, only for a night. Flights from Seattle usually get in very late at night, and there is no way I'm going to pay for an expensive room that I'll only be in for a few hours. We get sensory overload there, too. I can't imagine what it must be like for someone with Asperbergers. My nephew usually keeps a pair of bright orange headphones and a tablet with set of calming videos for when he goes into sensory overload.

I am really looking forward to your reviews/trip reports. I'm glad I'm not the only Disney stitcher out there.

Andrea
Great review! And giant Woody and Buzz would be too much for me!
Linda said…
I hear you with the kids but it looks like a fun place.

Linda
I'm impressed with your love for Disney that makes you deal with these resorts even with all the discomfort they are causing you. I agree with Jo, though, this one looks so flashy I'd get some overload issues as well!