Yet ANOTHER OMG update (is this getting old yet?)

Luckily, my shot record was NOT in the duck room closet, but in a secret area where I hide all my important documents, but, as per usual, there was a problem. Not even GOD could read the bloody thing! Seriously! (and yes, I say "seriously" a lot in person too). Apparently, handwriting wasn't big in the 70's, so I can now see what the girl at the college was talking about. I called my doctor's office and they said they would ask his nurse if she had time to try to interpret it and get her to call me, but I got tired of waiting (again, seriously, why are people sooo slow in the medical field? I work in the medical field and I'm not slow). I ended up just calling the health department in the county where I was born and she pulled my old records (although that too took an act of god for reasons I'll explain in a moment) and that record was even worse than my little card. She just recommended I have the stupid MMR shot over again since I'm 47 and my titer would be too low anyway, so I called my doctor back and set up that appointment (I need a tetanus since I step on dropped cross stitch needles all the time anyway and it's been a while, so...two birds, one stone).

Now, most of you guys know my first name is Keiley (pronounced Key-Lee). It was originally supposed to be spelled Keeley (as my baby book notations show) and sometimes mother even spelled it Keely (even she couldn't get it right I think). My original birth certificate spelled it "Keily", so my mother had to get a court order to get it changed (which, back then, cost $100). Well, even after the court order, they still got it wrong and my mother didn't have another $100, so Keiley stuck. I've had to deal with grammatical jokes and mispronunciations my entire life (hence Keebles or Keebs which is what almost everyone calls me). Well, because my shots were going on during a time of name changes, the lady at the health department couldn't find my shot records because she couldn't find it under any of the spellings listed above (and I meant to ask her what name she finally found it under, but by the time she did find it, I was stressed out enough and forgot). She did tell me she was lucky to find it at all, so I figured it was under a spelling not listed above (typical).

I always thought I saw MMR on my card, but now that I look at it, I can't see it. The only legible words on it are rubella and polio. On the back of the card is a checklist and mumps is not one of the items listed, so now I'm wondering if I ever did have the MMR (although I can't imagine I didn't because it wasn't an option not to get it back in the day). Considering the chicken scratch although the card, now I figure I made it this far in life because no one ever really looked at the card before, just made a copy and that was that. So if I haven't had it, then I definitely need it, but I still think I had it and now I have to pay for a doctors visit and shots. Yea me.

But, I did get some really good news today (which almost scares me to say it out loud (or type it) because it might get jinxed the way things are going). My work Macbook Pro is old (well, not that old, it's a 2012, but by my doctors standards, it's ancient...my personal Sony Vaio at home is WAY older, but it works like a brand new one, just no crappy Windows 10), so they decided to buy me a new Macbook Pro. I figured I'd be able to squeeze by with the minimum of specs, but no...they had me pimp that sucker out full throttle! It kind of made me sick to my stomach spending that much company money (especially since I'm partially going to be using it for school stuff to get out of here in the first place). I should also explain that work/personal is a fine line yet wide birth around here. As long as PHI (Personal Health Information) stays off it (and it does mine because I'm IT...that's only for my office desktop), then you can do just about anything with them (and trust me, most of the docs do). I do plan on retiring my Sony and using the Mac full time now (the old one never left my office except it went with me on vacation). I may have to swipe an old Windows 7 license from around here and Bootcamp it for my favorite programs from my Vaio that aren't Mac or W10 compatible. We'll see. OMG, I'm feeling sick again! So much money! I'm such a traitor! Think they'll let me take it when I go in about three years? Depreciation value and all, right? They DEFINITELY aren't getting my iPad back, company or not!

Comments

Keiley, I've been out of touch (blog-wise) for the past few months and just catching up on my blog reading. Congrats on your decision to go back to college. As for shot records, they are truly a pain to find out what you've had done in the past. I had to have several shots a couple of years ago because they just couldn't figure out whether or not I'd had them...and I have been going to this clinic since I was a child. Glad everything is computerized these days for those kinds of things. Sending lots of magical wishes and pixie dust your way that things go smoothly for you on this new journey. Andrea
Bethan said…
I suppose you have to laugh, otherwise it will drive you around the bend! And on the brightside, you are edging ever closer and closer to your goal. Don't feel like a traitor - you will be working there for 3 years still; it's not like you get a new laptop and leave a month later. I hope the next steps go smoother for you now x
Linda said…
And it sounds like a pain in the behind now Keiley, but it will all work out in the end.

Linda
Excuse me, but how much extra work have you done for them recently? Covering all the sick leave other people had?

They owe you a gold plated Macbook!

Hope things work out for you with the jabs etc.
I never would have dreamed that going back to college would give a person this much grief! Hopefully this is the last hoop you have to jump through!
Oh, looks like I missed a post out of your epic journey! Now that part about a new laptop makes much more sense. Full spec Macbook Pro sounds awesome (although I've never used an Apple product in my life, but I suppose their hardware is good, at the very least) and I sure hope they will let you take it with you when you leave, or maybe buy it out really cheaply. I just scored a 80€ laptop for a friend of mine that another friend could buy out of his company after a few years (and that was like 800€ a few years earlier), so here is hoping!
That stuff about your shot record really got ridiculous, though. You'd imagine people would take more care to keep their records updated AND readable with something as important as medical records!
Tiffstitch said…
Love Jo's comment, and definitely you need the full blown, all the bells and whistles work laptop because you do 3 people's work, if not more. That is great news.